Friday, April 8, 2016

How I Thrift.....

It has been almost a year since I started selling on Ebay.  Back in the day I was hesitant to go shopping in thrift stores searching for treasures.   I can say now that I am completely over that.  Currently, I have a regular schedule of thrift store shopping.  In my area, I have the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and Habitat for Humanity stores.  I try to stop by a couple of them on a weekly basis.  At this point,  I can be in and out in a few minutes if I don’t immediately see some things that catch my eye.  Here is what I like to look for when I am shopping.

Books:  I have always been a book lover.  Currently, I have more books than I need in my house – but unfortunately they are the ones of limited value.  The books that I like to find while I am thrifting are the old, vintage books.  I like to find children’s primary readers and old editions of some of the more popular books or authors.  Unfortunately, all old books aren’t good sellers.  I will be the first to admit that I have some that it looks that I will end up giving away eventually, just because they don’t seem to be generating any attention.  I do have some currently in my inventory that I am hopeful about.  You can check them out here.  


 Mugs – I always check for mugs just to see if I find anything interesting or worthy.  Sometimes I will make a purchase on a whim – hoping that it will result in a great sale.  That is what happened when I purchased these.  Just so you know, I do check ebay for completeds and for solds.  Sometimes the numbers that I find there don’t look so great – but I make the purchase anyway, hoping that the odds would be in my favor.  That’s what happened here.  I bought this Japanese mug and these Starbucks mugs. I ended up purchasing these because I had an attraction to them.  Hopefully they will sell eventually.

China – China is interesting.  I really am clueless about china, but I am learning. I like to turn it over when I see it and check out the manufacturers information on Ebay.  Currently I don’t have any china for sale.

Toys – If I am checking toys, I am just looking for something interesting. Plush is not something that I am really interested although I did purchase this gingerbread man recently…..and looking back at it I really don’t know why.  You can check out the gingerbread man here.   I am also looking for things that might still be sealed.  Remember the Cher doll I discovered not too long ago?  I bought a couple of board games, that I am hoping to sell soon as well – Carolinaopoly and Let's Buy Hollywood.  They don't seem to be quick sellers, though. I wish I could find more toys to sell that are in good shape. 

Clothing – I check clothing only after I have checked all the other areas.  I would prefer not to sell clothing at all, actually.  However, if I can’t find anything else while thrifting, I can usually find some clothing.  I don’t spend a lot of time in the women’s section.  I try to search the men’s section pretty good, looking for nice shirts, sports memorabilia and Levi’s jeans.  I don’t stray too much from these items.  Maybe if I did, I would be making more money. Hmmmm……definitely something to consider.

Overall, this is how I prioritize my thrift shopping.  These are the things that I sell most often.  I am not a big seller.  I am trying to keep things steady and have continuous growth.  So far that seems to be happening.  After I officially pass my one year Ebayversary I hope to set some new growth goals for myself.

In case you looked at some of my listings in the text above and see ways I can improve, please share them below. You can check out all of  my listings by going here. I’m still new at this and welcome your comments and suggestions.  How do you thrift?

3 comments:

  1. I scan yard sale ads and thrift shop for only items in my niche==needle crafts, yarn, linens, fabric and other craft supplies. Since I crochet a lot of my needlecraft items for sale, I don't do a great deal of shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting niche. I've never learned how to crochet....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete