Monday, February 29, 2016

Thrifting for Cookbooks – Coastal Carolina Cooking

I love cookbooks.  I actually love cookbooks more than I love cooking.  Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy cooking as well.  However, the kitchen cleanup that goes along with cooking can be a BEAST sometimes and that’s the part that I don’t like so much.  Because of my love for cookbooks, I am always looking for some unique cookbook titles whenever I am out thrifting.  If I really find some gems, I take them home.  Otherwise, I leave them for some other cookbook loving thrifter to pick up.

My most recent find is Coastal Carolina Cooking by Nancy Davis and Kathy Hart.  I don't plan on selling this one on Ebay.  This one is a keeper.  I was attracted to this cookbook first because I’m a Carolina girl.  What was great about it was that the recipes came from real people who lived on the North Carolina coast and were cooking these foods for their friends and family.  I think that food says a lot about who you are and where and how you live. 


Here is cool recipe from Coastal Carolina Cooking.  If you happen to be from the South you may be familiar with it.

SOUSE (or more affectionately known as Hogshead Cheese...LOL)

1 hog’s head, skinned, cleaned and split in half (remove eyes, snout, and brains; leave jowls and ears)
Water
1 ½ tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons sage
1 tablespoon salt

Place hog’s head in a large pot.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until meat falls easily off the bone, about 3 hours.  Remove head from broth and cool slightly.  Save broth.  Remove all meat from the bone and chop finely or put in a meat grinder.  Skim as much grease as possible from the top of the broth.  Add black pepper, sage, and salt to 1 ¼ quarts of broth.  Add water if there isn't enough broth.  Drop in ground meat; mix thoroughly.  The mixture should be the consistency of a thin pudding.  Place in a glass loaf pan and put in the refrigerator to congeal.  Slice to serve.

The creator of this recipe suggested that you eat a slice of souse on crackers or corn bread. Now doesn't that sound DELISH??  I’m sure it is delicious to some people – just not me.  I’m not knocking it because I have actually tried it before.  Let me just say that it’s not going to be on my top 10 list of favorites anytime soon.

Regardless of how it may taste to me, I appreciate that people know how to make something from what others might see as nothing.  That’s all about survival right there.  Let nothing go to waste. Isn't that what thrifting is all about? I think so.

Hey readers, what about you? Do you enjoy cookbooks like I do? Raise your hand if you have ever eaten souse!!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Hoghead Cheese but I will say I was raised on it and if I had not been I seriously doubt I would have just started buying it one day, lol. Definitely an acquired taste, my wife hates it. My preference is the thick sliced mild version on a sandwich with just mayo and tomatoes.

    We have only sold one cookbook that I can remember and that was one called Weight Watchers super slow-cooker cookbook and it sold for 29.95 so that was a great sale, we had picked it up for 50 cents. Our problem is we always forget to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for visiting my page. Glad to find somebody that will admit to enjoying Hoghead Cheese!! It is a true Southern delicacy...lol.

      Delete