Thursday, February 4, 2016

EBAY Scammers Beware!! I have a dog!!

If only something as simple as having a dog would keep scammers away.  That would be great right? I have heard the horror stories about buyers and sellers all over the internet.  I have tried to be vigilant when it comes to protecting myself from being scammed, duped or otherwise bamboozled.  But this time the scammer came for me.  ME.  The unsuspecting mom trying to make a little extra cash on EBAY.  I was a bit surprised.

Let me tell you the story.  I have an Anchor Hocking Milk Glass Mug that I had put up for auction.  It might even be considered a Fire-King Mug – but it isn't marked as such.  If you are reading this and you’re a fire king expert you can let me know.  I am the original owner. 

After debating about it a bit and checking the selling history, I decided to put it up for auction.  Bidding started at $42.00.  Surprisingly, within the first 2 days of a 10 auction day I had this first bid.  I really didn't know if it that was good or bad.  I was hoping for the best.

Others had this mug up for sale as BIN for between $90 - $199.  As a result, I felt as if I started a good price that would not immediately turn buyers away.  So as time progressed, the bidding began.  I was hopeful that it was going to go HIGH!!! The bidding was going to end after my bedtime so I was hopeful that I was going to wake up to a windfall.

$80+ shipping sounded pretty good to me, so I decided to check out the auction winner. I clicked on their username and found 0 feedback and a private account?  What the heck!!??  Something just didn't
seem right about that.  So I figured that I would wait and see what happened.  I checked eBay again at a later time and I noticed that this username had 8 feedback ratings.  HUH?? How do you go from 0 – 8 just like that?? Still, there was nothing for me to do but wait.

After a few days of not being paid, I opened a case.  The result of the case determined that I was being scammed.  The exact words from eBay were, “we had to cancel bids for this buyer because they aren't registered on eBay.”  Say what??  How does this happen?  I. Am. Done. Why did they choose the mug I was selling?  Who’s going to pay me my $80?  Clearly I was out of luck on all accounts.  But the silver lining of it all was that I got away.  The scammer was not successful.  I really wasn't out of anything at all. Maybe it was even a blessing in disguise.

Have you ever been the target of a scammer?  Tell me your story in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment