Monday, November 2, 2015

Cause of Death? Seller Envy!

    photo credit: USPS.COM

I am sure that you have seen the pictures.  People love to post pictures showing how many packages they have heading to the post office.  All those nice free priority mail envelopes are packed and labeled and ready to go.  Some people really have a lot of sales; and they are overflowing with packages and the cash that goes along with it.  Sounds, good right?  Yeah, it sounds good to me too. But I have to be cautions.  Seller envy can kill.

What do I mean by that?  Well, if you read my about page you know that I work full time and have a family.  I love an eBay sale just as much as the next guy or gal, but there has to be limitation for me. If I let my seller envy take control, my family would be eating frozen dinners and we would be taking vacations centered around where the best Goodwill store is located.  My rooms would be filled with boxes and inventory waiting to be sold and out the door.  I would be pressing toward having a thousand listing so that I can keep those solid numbers coming in.That's not the life for me.  That would kill me.  Cause of death? Seller envy!  I can see my feet sticking out from a pile of inventory that mistakenly fell on me while I was trying to locate an item.  Remember how the house fell on the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz and all you could see were her feet and those pointy shoes?  That would be me.

Every now and then I do have some fleeting moments of seller envy.  But when I realize what that means for me and my family I quickly come to my senses.  To all of you power-sellers out there, you get a high five from me!  To all of you whose homes are overflowing with inventory and you are raking in the cash, I salute you! To those of you who have jobs like me and still devote a significant chunk of your time to your eBay hustle, good for you! I'm not hating on anybody else. Whatever works for you is what you should be doing.  As they say "Do You, Boo!"   I just can't do it.  Not right now.  That takes more time and effort than I have to give.  Most of my free time is filled with a "honey do" list or a mommy request.  That's where my priorities lie.  Yes, I am the College Fund Thrifter.  I do have some financial goals in mind.  My motto is going to be "Slow and Steady Wins the Race." Balance is the key. As long as eBay doesn't go anywhere, I will still have time to make my million, LOL.

Do you experience seller envy?

6 comments:

  1. I have seen those posts also, and do get a little envious! But, like you, I have other things on my plate. If only I could stop shopping for inventory and cluttering up the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, that's the challenge, I think. Forcing yourself to not shop for more than you can reasonably list. Without sales, can quickly turn to clutter.

      Delete
  2. So true! Great post. Sometimes it's less envy for me as it is motivation. I see other people's success and think: if I push myself a little harder then I can achieve that success too. I get all motivated and work REALLY hard for about a month. Then my body falls apart! I can manage my disabling conditions to a point....when I cross that point all Hell breaks loose. I'd love to make those millions too. Just not happening now! Happy for the people who can. Guess it's just not us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Sometimes the cost of all of that just isn't worth it.

      Delete
  3. Boy you perfectly hit the nail on the head with this post! I too sometimes have seller envy, but I also have a full time job, an antique booth, a home, a husband, 4 kids, 2 cats and a life. I have to remind myself that. eBay has a way of taking over your life if you let it. I started doing eBay because I enjoyed it, and for the most part I still do, but the minute it becomes another soul sucking job I'm out. Ive already got one of those ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, when it starts to feel to much like work.....it's not fun anymore.

    ReplyDelete