Friday, October 16, 2015

LOVE (not Thrifting) Will Keep Us Together!


My husband is a no nonsense kind of guy.  When he wakes up in the morning, he is thinking about all the things that he needs to get done.  So when he decided that he and I were going to go thrifting together......I wasn't really sure what to think.  If you read my post It's Time to get Started you may remember that I talked about needing to get rid of clutter. I believe that is one of my husband's missions in life.  He is a no-clutter king.  Does that type of person get jazzed about going to a goodwill or a thrift shop?

Let me tell you, it was interesting.  His first question was "What are you looking for?"  My answer was "nothing in particular."  This led into a discussion on how can you go into a store and not be looking at anything in particular.  So in order to make this easy on both of us, I had to give him some clear direction.  Books seemed like a good place to start.  So I advised him to check out the book section for some old books.  For me old books means at least 50-60 years old.  For him it meant the "80's" as he showed me a group of books about some baseball players from that era.  They were probably Time-Life but I didn't check.  "Older than that," I said.  "Scan for books that look old and then check their copyright date."  Why did I start him looking at books?  Because he likes books and I thought it would ease him into his first thrift shopping excursion.

While he stayed with the books, I got to move on to the housewares.  When he caught up with me I had a couple of milk glass items and some Vintage Pyrex in my hands.   I quickly asked him to hold it all while I looked it up on Ebay.  He was not impressed.  The resale value on the item I had wasn't good enough for me to hold onto them.  I knew in order for him to really get excited I would have to find something really great.

Next I wandered over to the men's clothing looking for sportswear.I had a couple of items in my hands and told him "It's all about the brands."  He gave me this you can't be serious look and moved on. I didn't find anything that I was really committed to that day, so I walked out with nothing.  The only thing I was even close to buying was a Majestic New York Yankees half-zip pullover.  But even that didn't really do it for me.

I think we traveled to two more stores that day.  He did find some comic books that had potential, but the return on them was minimal.  I remember him telling me "I can find better things to do with my time."  At the end of the day, it was a pretty good excursion.  Having him with me caused me to be much more selective about my potential purchases and I think that by spending the day rambling around with me he got a glimpse into the thrift store experience.  Overall, it was a pretty good outing. I thought it was an awesome way for him to show his love for me - even though it wasn't really his thing?

Does your spouse enjoy thrifting?

9 comments:

  1. Love the story! My girlfriend is NOT a shopper and really never wanted to go thrifting with me until....we went thrifting. Then she realized that she could find cheap stuff for herself and wants to go. We go on thrifting trips all over the place now. Sometimes she finds good stuff for me. It can really be helpful having someone to help search the women's clothes. I try to go by myself though, saves me money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Disney Robey. The jury is still out on whether my husband will be doing any more thrifting trips with me.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,
    I just found your blog and am enjoying it! Love new eBay blogs! I have been selling on eBay for about 4 years, and like you I have 3 (!) kids in college and too much stuff. I blog but only occasionally about eBay. Thinking about doing an exclusively ebay blog. Anyway if you ever have any questions or need advise give me a holler! It's definetly a learning curve! BTW my husband hates to shop of ANY kind, including thrift, but after a few months of selling and proving I could make money he sees the light haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marci! Thanks for checking me out and I appreciate that you are willing to offer me assistance. I have definitely had a few struggles along the way......

      Delete
  4. My wife likes it somewhat. The hard part is having two kids. It's hard to get out of the house, and if we take them to the store, the older one gets MISERABLE. It's getting cold here too and the yard sales are basically over. At least that would have kept my older daughter moving around in nice weather!

    My wife has found a few things though, and I try to push her into helping me with the listing too but it's just not up her alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be awesome Dollar Flipper if our families just loved doing this? It could be the beginning of an empire passed down through the generations!! LOL. Just kidding. Sometimes you just have to go it alone. Personally, I get more done that way.

      Delete
  5. That story is too funny! It was probably more about how he could get in on the cash than about love, lol! The "I could find better things to do with my time" was priceless. And the "What? You have to look at brands?" (eyeroll. bye.) I'm still laughing! Anyway, I have the same problem as Dollar Flipper, above. I have 2 kids and one is miserable about thrift shopping. She used to love it, but now just barely tolerates it. I now only go to one thrift store, and that's because they have a bowl of free candy at the register that she looks forward to. But that's OK because I work full time and hardly have time to do ebay anyway, and would just end up with a lot of clutter! (or a lot more, I should say.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That story is too funny! It was probably more about how he could get in on the cash than about love, lol! The "I could find better things to do with my time" was priceless. And the "What? You have to look at brands?" (eyeroll. bye.) I'm still laughing! Anyway, I have the same problem as Dollar Flipper, above. I have 2 kids and one is miserable about thrift shopping. She used to love it, but now just barely tolerates it. I now only go to one thrift store, and that's because they have a bowl of free candy at the register that she looks forward to. But that's OK because I work full time and hardly have time to do ebay anyway, and would just end up with a lot of clutter! (or a lot more, I should say.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, my teenagers are at that age where they would prefer to just sit in the car and wait for me to be done....

      Delete